Last winter, I made this quilt top using Anna Maria Horner's log mansion quilt pattern. I loved the pattern-- it sews up quickly and is great for displaying fabric. Of course, this baby is still waiting to be quilted (when I finished the quilt top, which is queen sized, I was too pregnant to quilt it and let's face it, I'm not in the mood to wrestle with this one yet...)
Anyway, fast forward to one year later and I still love this pattern so I decided to adapt it for my son's Mickey duvet (aha! I got smart, realized I would not quilt this anytime soon and made it into a duvet!!!). The quilt top sewed together very quickly, especially because I did not try and premeasure how long any of the logs should be. I just cut two WOF strips each at 6.5" wide and sewed the short seams together. I tidied up the edges as I went.
Since I did decide ahead of time to make this into a duvet, I sewed the seams at 1/2" seam allowances. That is probably breaking some quilting rule, but my son jumps on his bed and I really didn't want to repair any seams!
I also took the opportunity to make this with my new machine and had fun discovering its many fun toys, like monogramming!
So monogramming was pretty cool, but as I got to finishing the duvet I was dreading adding on button holes. I could make them with my last machine, but they never turned out that great. Well, this time, they were not only perfect but I also had several button hole types to choose from (go figure I still went with a plain rectangle). And best of all, I had a ton of fun using the button sewing function! What a treat-- the machine helped me to sew on the buttons in a pretty way!
The duvet is done, but I have a little fabric left and will need to make some pillowcases soon! I'm linking up to Fabric Tuesday and seeing what you have been doing as well!